[ RadSafe ] Any comment on the latest paper in The BMJ

Brad Keck bradkeck at mac.com
Tue Nov 3 12:36:48 CST 2015

If you read the paper in detail, it is clear that the uncertainty overwhelms any of the conclusions, so i think a fair reading is as follows:

The entire significance of the linear regression (which is at 90, not 95% confidence) depends heavily upon the highest dose group at 0.6 Gy cumulative colon dose - a very small group.
This group accounts for only 40/ 19,064 cancer deaths tabulated in this regression.    The inability to account for smoking status -  in addition to the very high uncertainty - in this cohort thus clouds the entire study.  If this cohort had a higher incidence of smokers than others, a confounding by smoking seems likely.  Indeed, and to their credit, the authors plainly calculate that the estimate of ERR encompasses 1, and is not statistically different than the lowest dose group at 90% confidence.   (The absence of smoking status is a true shame, given the quantity and scope of the data.)

As a test of the overall regression they list regression of subsets of the dose groups, specifically ranges of 0 - 150 mSv, and 0-200 mSv.   This conveniently did not include the 250 mSv dose cohort, which is the most different from the overall regression and thus having included that in the subsets would have been a better test than excluding that dose group in the subsets and using only those ranges that are more congruent with the entire data set.   I find this omission to be a major red flag as to the statistical outcome of the overall data.

The authors also acknowledge that a quadratic fit, more like a threshold curve, “is only slightly improved” from the linear fit, although they don’t present the conclusion that the curve observed is a little more quadratic than linear.  :}

A fair conclusion is that this study does not establish either a linear or quadratic fit to the data as taken and treated - hence the estimate of ERR/Gy is highly uncertain even at 90% confidence; and one is pretty much as good as the other, given the imprecision of the data and limitations of the study.  Moreover,  the estimates of relative risk are sufficiently uncertain as to not refute either a linear or quadratic (i.e., threshold) relationship, although a quadratic relationship better described the data than linear, statistically speaking. Lastly, looking at the uncertainties of each dose cohort, one would need at a size of 500 or so to have a meaningfully small uncertainty as to allow examination of the dose response relationship in an adequately precise manner.

Brad