[ RadSafe ] Airborne tritium question

Dixon, John E. (CDC/ONDIEH/NCEH) gyf7 at cdc.gov
Tue Sep 15 07:26:19 CDT 2015

I recommend starting with DOE's tritium primer at:

http://energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2013/09/f2/hdbk1079.pdf

Also, for occupational exposures, dose equivalent can be estimated from air sampling and stay times in areas, but bioassay is preferred and should be performed. I believe DOE still requires some kind of biodosimetry for doses greater than 100 mrem/yr from all sources. Environmental effluents should also be monitored (this requirement should be in the facility's license).

Regards,
John Dixon