[ RadSafe ] [Non-DoD Source] Fwd: Po-210 particle mobility (UNCLASSIFIED)

Falo, Gerald A CIV USARMY MEDCOM APHC (US) gerald.a.falo.civ at mail.mil
Thu Apr 14 13:59:50 CDT 2016

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Greetings all,

"Aggregate recoil" was one of the commonly used technical terms for this
phenomenon.  Here's a review of the phenomenon, Transport of Radioactive
Material by Alpha Recoil, A.S. Icenhour, May 2005:
http://web.ornl.gov/~webworks/cppr/y2005/rpt/122446.pdf.

Abstract
The movement of high-specific-activity radioactive particles (i.e., alpha
recoil) has been
observed and studied since the early 1900s. These studies have been
motivated by concerns about
containment of radioactivity and the protection of human health.
Additionally, studies have
investigated the potential advantage of alpha recoil to effect separations
of various isotopes. This
report provides a review of the observations and results of a number of the
studies.

Enjoy,
Jerry

Gerald A. Falo, Ph.D., CHP
Army Public Health Center (Provisional) - Health Physics Program
gerald.a.falo.civ at mail.mil
gerald.a.falo.civ at mail.smil.mil
410-436-4852
DSN: 584-4852