[ RadSafe ] Study Links Residential Radon Exposure to Hematologic Cancers in Women

Brad Keck bradkeck at mac.com
Sat Apr 30 15:17:01 CDT 2016

Roy,

I would note that the radon map they are using (citing a 1982 database) is strikingly different than the radon map currently issued by USEPA  (  https://www.epa.gov/radon/find-information-about-local-radon-zones-and-radon-programs#radonmap <https://www.epa.gov/radon/find-information-about-local-radon-zones-and-radon-programs#radonmap>  ).

I would suspect that if a modern, more complete database were used, then the apparent significance in one group studied might well fail significance - but the authors do not comment on this aspect of the study.  In addition, they make no argument that the 1982 county data is representative of the actual cases observed - that the actual cancer cases come from a house that is actually high (or low) in radon.

To their credit, they recognize that this result would need to be confirmed independently (and hopefully with much better radon data) before being acted upon….

Brad