[ RadSafe ] Survey Instrument Question

Ted de Castro tdc at xrayted.com
Mon Aug 1 18:30:42 CDT 2016

I would wonder about the aspect ratio of the geometry of the tube.  Not
so much the diameter but the length as this affects the active center of
the tube and thus the effective distance from the source and a source of
XRF leakage COULD be very divergent/ high gradient and thus fall off
rapidly and thus geometry would affect the reading.  When the tube was
calibrated - surely it was a low gradient field and calibrated at the
active center of the probe.

You quoted sensitivity at 50 keV and an XRF operating at 50 keV. Well -
the xrays are a bremstraulung  spectrum with a characteristic but WAY
mostly low energy brem and a very small percentage of 50 keV.

Also - keep in mind that for surveys around analytical x-ray equipment a
GM detector is an excellent and sensitive leakage DETECTOR but a very
poor MEASUREMENT instrument due to a very non dose equivalent energy
response in that region.  But fortunately almost always the point of the
survey is to DETECT the leak and deal with it.  MEASURING the level of
the leakage is pretty much an academic exercise with little practical
use.  Leaks are so easily eliminated to the level of non detection with
the GM that trying to survey their level for pass/fail with respect to
some appointed limit level usually is pretty impractical.