[ RadSafe ] Surveilance Frequency

Ted de Castro tdc at xrayted.com
Wed Aug 10 10:39:56 CDT 2016

I would have a tendency to agree and also find that many regulatory
periodic survey requirements are essentially legacy provisions
didactically propagated due to lack of understanding insight or
imagination.  I also think this applies largely to machine radiations
where when its off - its off (yes - excluding high energy accelerators
or neutron generators) and exposures can be controlled.

It does seem that the emphasis has become compliance and thinking has
become an exercise of the past.

That being said I can see one value to periodic surveys of a storage
facility.  SECURITY!  Unless that facility is unequivocally and
permanently SEALED things CAN change. Items/shielding CAN be moved or
stolen and such occurrences COULD be evidenced by a change in radiation
environment which could be detected by meticulous, systematic and
consistent periodic surveys - assuming of course the surveys aren't just
filed away but that someone is comparing past and present values.

Just my 2 cents ......