[ RadSafe ] Surveilance Frequency

JOHN.RICH at sargentlundy.com JOHN.RICH at sargentlundy.com
Wed Aug 10 09:09:28 CDT 2016

Henric,
Thx for the input.

Since this is a client question , I can't really say too much.  However,
the question arose from a discussion with people who had read regulations
and convinced themselves that the vault had to be classified as a
temporary low level waste storage facility, and then it followed that if
it was a low level waste storage facility, it needed all the appropriate
surveys (and facilities, etc.)

We tried to convince them that regardless of what it was named, since
nothing changed inside, it could essentially be sealed up.  Then came the
usual question, "What does everyone else do?"

Warning: rant follows.
BOR (beginning of rant)
A lot of new people entering the industry have lost all semblance of
common sense.  The regulations are treated as absolutes with no
consideration given to reality. They refuse to accept that power plants
are electricity factories, not laboratories.  They refuse to accept the
fact that the design basis is not reality; its a design basis so that if
the plant can cope with it, hopefully it can cope with anything else that
happens.  The design basis is not the only thing that can happen, so
sometimes I run into a situation where the comment is its not in our
design basis so we don't have to recognize it until the 'resident' tells
us to,  etc., etc., etc.  I know that Aristotle complained about the
hopelessness of the kids of his time, and maybe there's some of that here,
but @$#%$*&%$, doesn't anybody think anymore?
EOR (end of rant)

John Rich
Manager/Consultant 2
Nuclear Power Technologies
Sargent & Lundy
55 East Monroe Street | Chicago, IL 60603
office: 1-312-269-3768 | mobile: 1-561-676-8144
email :john.rich at sargentlundy.com