[ RadSafe ] Reference for the word 'shake' ...and other sneaky Manhattan project words

Winkler, Paul pawinkle at bechtel.com
Thu Feb 4 15:29:43 CST 2016

Try     http://www.lrri.org/hpinfo/b.html

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu [mailto:radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu] On Behalf Of Ed Waller
Sent: Thursday, February 04, 2016 1:09 PM
To: 'The International Radiation Protection (Health Physics) Mailing List' <radsafe at health.phys.iit.edu>
Subject: [ RadSafe ] Reference for the word 'shake' ...and other sneaky Manhattan project words [*EXTERNAL*]


As part of some writing I am doing, I am trying to find origins of terms used in the nuclear field that are somewhat obscure.

I have a reference for 'barn' (Note on the origin of the term "barn", Holloway and Baker, LAMS-623, 1947)
[aside: Also, I have found some anecdotal evidence for a millibarm being a 'skilodge' and a microbarn being an 'outhouse', but no reference. I have also seen a reference to 1E-48 cm2 being a 'shed', but again no reference.]

However, some other terms, such as 'shake', I am having a harder time finding a proper reference. Google has revealed lots of usage, and some secondary and tertiary referencing, but I cannot believe there is not a primary reference somewhere for this, and other terms like this.

If anyone could help, I would be most appreciative. 

Best regards,

You are currently subscribed to the RadSafe mailing list

Before posting a message to RadSafe be sure to have read and understood the RadSafe rules. These can be found at: http://health.phys.iit.edu/radsaferules.html

For information on how to subscribe or unsubscribe and other settings visit: http://health.phys.iit.edu

More information about the RadSafe mailing list