[ RadSafe ] Reference for the word 'shake' ...and other sneaky Manhattan project words

jjshonka at shonka.com jjshonka at shonka.com
Thu Feb 4 15:25:19 CST 2016


Just found  it in Wikipedia:  see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shake_%28unit%29
”The word comes from the expression "two shakes of a lamb's tail," which indicates a very short time interval.”

Sent from Windows Mail

From: Ed Waller
Sent: ‎Thursday‎, ‎February‎ ‎4‎, ‎2016 ‎4‎:‎08‎ ‎PM
To: The International Radiation Protection (Health Physics) Mailing List


As part of some writing I am doing, I am trying to find origins of terms
used in the nuclear field that are somewhat obscure.

I have a reference for 'barn' (Note on the origin of the term "barn",
Holloway and Baker, LAMS-623, 1947)
[aside: Also, I have found some anecdotal evidence for a millibarm being a
'skilodge' and a microbarn being an 'outhouse', but no reference. I have
also seen a reference to 1E-48 cm2 being a 'shed', but again no reference.]

However, some other terms, such as 'shake', I am having a harder time
finding a proper reference. Google has revealed lots of usage, and some
secondary and tertiary referencing, but I cannot believe there is not a
primary reference somewhere for this, and other terms like this.

If anyone could help, I would be most appreciative. 

Best regards,

You are currently subscribed to the RadSafe mailing list

Before posting a message to RadSafe be sure to have read and understood the RadSafe rules. These can be found at: http://health.phys.iit.edu/radsaferules.html

For information on how to subscribe or unsubscribe and other settings visit: http://health.phys.iit.edu

More information about the RadSafe mailing list