[ RadSafe ] Reference for the word 'shake' ...and other sneakyManhattan project words

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Thu Feb 4 16:50:05 CST 2016


I found "shake" on google, using "shake nuclear physics": It is 10 
nanoseconds. For more information try google. Good luck!


-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht----- 
From: Ed Waller
Sent: Thursday, February 04, 2016 10:08 PM
To: 'The International Radiation Protection (Health Physics) Mailing List'
Subject: [ RadSafe ] Reference for the word 'shake' ...and other 
sneakyManhattan project words


As part of some writing I am doing, I am trying to find origins of terms
used in the nuclear field that are somewhat obscure.

I have a reference for 'barn' (Note on the origin of the term "barn",
Holloway and Baker, LAMS-623, 1947)
[aside: Also, I have found some anecdotal evidence for a millibarm being a
'skilodge' and a microbarn being an 'outhouse', but no reference. I have
also seen a reference to 1E-48 cm2 being a 'shed', but again no reference.]

However, some other terms, such as 'shake', I am having a harder time
finding a proper reference. Google has revealed lots of usage, and some
secondary and tertiary referencing, but I cannot believe there is not a
primary reference somewhere for this, and other terms like this.

If anyone could help, I would be most appreciative.

Best regards,

You are currently subscribed to the RadSafe mailing list

Before posting a message to RadSafe be sure to have read and understood the 
RadSafe rules. These can be found at: 

For information on how to subscribe or unsubscribe and other settings visit: 

More information about the RadSafe mailing list