[ RadSafe ] Statement by Japanese Prime Minister

Tue Feb 16 12:23:18 CST 2016

There is a substantial reduction of load that can be achieved through modernization and conservation, which have the added benefits of producing a lot of jobs that can't be sent overseas.

In the US there are swaths of states where solar could cover all the non-industrial electrical load, including at night (if reasonable conservation measures were put in place).  This isn't likely to happen, though, as Republican legislatures are acting to make sure that those mean little solar companies don't hurt the feelings of big power companies by producing electricity that doesn't make the power companies as much money.

But even if solar was maximized, and wind was maximized, there would be a base load that would have to be filled in some other way.  I think Gen IV reactor designs hold the best promise to do that.

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu [mailto:radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu] On Behalf Of Brad Keck
Sent: Saturday, February 13, 2016 12:06 PM
To: The International Radiation Protection (Health Physics) Mailing List
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Statement by Japanese Prime Minister

Roy,

In a “Perfectly Green World” the sun always shines (even at night) upon an infinite solar array, the wind always blows (never too little or too much) upon highly efficient sea-based turbines (that are far, far away from Cape Cod or Martha’s Vineyard) and there’s a lot more hydroelectric potential to be tapped (without damming any more rivers).  It’s a nice place, really.  If you can find out where this is, please let me know.  :}

Brad