[ RadSafe ] Pb-210 Accumulation on Supply Fan Filters and On

Conway Lowe Family conlowe at bell.net
Wed Feb 17 12:29:33 CST 2016

Hi,

Pb-210 accumulation on residues from gas pipelines cleaned by brush  "pigs" is a common occurrence, although not all maintenance workers take the appropriate waste management options, such as suggested by Nick.  I have seen Pb-210 concentrations on such "pigging wastes" up to 15,000 Bq/kg.  Fairly conservative dose calculations suggest that doses (inhalation and ingestion) from exposure to such waste would be low, < 0.002 mSv for a working day.  Actual doses under good industrial hygiene practices would be lower still.

L. Lowe