[ RadSafe ] Apparently large amount of Radon in Natural Gas Release near Los Angeles

Brad Keck bradkeck at mac.com
Tue Jan 12 14:06:34 CST 2016

All,

I have found one set of analyses on the internet that seem to be from a reputable source;  these were taken at a local elementary school in December and indicate that Rn is <0.4 pCi/L (N=50).

This is consistent with a low level source, diluted by atmosphere.  I would be very surprised if the radon concentration resulting from the gas leak is measurable, let alone high.  This is not to say the local geology could not produce some measurable radon on its own - this could the case and will have to be taken into account to make sense of any new radon measurements.

FYI.  When natural gas is extracted from a production well, it usually has to go to a storage facility until needed.  Usually these are old wells no longer being produced, or salt caverns several thousand feet below ground surface (BGS).  [Above ground tanks are just too small to be very useful, and much less safe than underground storage.]   Here it seems to be an old well and it seems the casing or old caps/valves have given way.   In any case the gas company believes the fix is to drill a relief well - a process that will take a few months (ouch).

The odorant has already been added so while ignorance might have been bliss in this case, everyone near is going to sense the odorant and experience a constant odor of mercaptan - especially if enhanced with media panic - this will eventually make you sick and angry.  Peoples' sensitivity to mercaptan varies greatly, with some very sensitive and others with a high threshold for detection.   Also, Once others respond to the scent, the emotions kick in and everyone feels in danger - this is the purpose of adding the mercaptan after all.

Since the storage well has already been produced, the local radium - if any - will not be in equilibrium with the daughter radon, hence the radon level of stored gas will necessarily be quite low.  Normally, freshly produced natural gas has a concentration of about 35 pCi/L,  plus or minus a mag.  But here it should be much lower - 5 pCi/L seems a reasonable high guess.

I haven’t found reasonable estimates of the overall emanation rate, but typically odorants are designed to alarm at a dilution of 5 - 6 orders of magnitude, so depending on your position and the prevailing wind, it wouldn’t take much to set you off !   There may well not be much acute hazard here (and certainly little to no radon hazard), but people are going to be displaced by the smell, inconvenienced a lot, and will feel very much at risk - assisted by the media who will see a major opportunity in this case.

If anyone sees good data on this event, please share on RadSafe !

Brad