[ RadSafe ] Refreshing Editorial in Chicago Tribune

Brad Keck bradkeck at mac.com
Mon May 23 12:56:51 CDT 2016

Roger - thanks for posting this.

One of the curious things about the entire response to the Fukushima event is the focus on thyroid cancers.  The Japanese government did a very thorough job of food screening and replacement, and essentially prevented radioiodine ingestion - a necessary route of exposure for thyroid uptake, hence exposure leading to disease.  In spite of this very admirable - and as far as I can tell effective -  effort, there was this thyroid ultrasound technique rushed out to sensationalize a result  based on incomplete understanding.   Until much more recently, there simply was not a good background study using this ultrasound technique to understand “what normal looks like.” When there was, and with MUCH less fanfare, it turns out that thyroid “abnormalities” occur with a similar frequency in children near and far  (though neither group was actually exposed to radioiodine in this case).

Brad