[ RadSafe ] "war stories" re: SEM radiation issues?

KARAM, PHILIP PHILIP.KARAM at nypd.org
Fri Oct 28 13:19:00 CDT 2016

Well - they ARE radiation-generating devices. Some states look at the strict definition and decide to regulate them; some states look at the dose rates and decide not to. I have never seen any dose rates that are regulatorily significant - I'm sure there might be some older units where you can get a reading, but I've never seen one. What I worried about was the x-ray diffractometers - SEMs (and TEMs) were far down on my list of priorities.

Andy

P. Andrew Karam, PhD, CHP
NYPD Counterterrorism Division
(718) 615-7055 (desk)