[ RadSafe ] Adopting the International System of Units for Radiation Measurements in the United States

Dixon, John E. (CDC/ONDIEH/NCEH) gyf7 at cdc.gov
Tue Sep 13 06:11:08 CDT 2016

As CHP, I am comfortable with SI units. But we must remember that the general public is NOT comfortable with the topic of radiation as a whole. Given that, it will be more difficult to relate health risks from radiation if we are compelled to use UNITS which "are scary." What sounds more "threatening": 1 Curie or 3.7 e10 Bq's? I am afraid that familiarizing the unfamiliar with SI units within the general public realm is a hill we have yet to successfully climb. We must also consider the unfamiliarity the general public has with math - or should I say the resistance to think in mathematical terms for the layman.  One tenth of a Seveirt doesn't sound so bad until you tell someone it is 10 Rem - now that sounds "hideously high."

Regards,
John