[ RadSafe ] Accelerator safety system suggestions

Ted de Castro tdc at xrayted.com
Fri Mar 17 22:08:11 CDT 2017

Check with HPI (Health Physics Instruments Goleta, CA)

Argonne has an ion chamber area monitor they use in their accelerator
area they LBL copied from them - with a few improvements - and then we
got HPI to make them for us - with a few more improvements - like
communication.  NO Argonne gets them from HPI too.  Its tailored to low
energy BUT HPI is a near custom shop and could most likely put on an ion
chamber without as low and energy response - but more robust and easier
and cheaper to make.  They also have a pressurized ion chamber survey
meter in their product line and I'd bet they could put THAT ion chamber
on the area monitor.  They also have a GM area monitor - but the IC
would be more accurate.

As for neutron - I don't know of anything off the shelf but again HPI
has a high energy Andersson Braun moderated survey meter that could
probably easily be converted to area monitor -for your case of course
the normal Andersson Braun  moderator BUT if you don't need true DOSE
indication - there are many sorts of easier and cheaper moderators that
could be used.  I THINK they also have a tissue equivalent ion chamber
that would be sensitive to both neutrons and photons --- but not
indicate which it detected. There are lots of possibilities with a small
run shop that already has most of the basics there - just switching
detectors and front end electronics.

The trade off is that lead time may be an issue - but they always came
through for me when I worked at LBNL.

Most other area monitors I've seen are either GM or Scintillator and
more suited for an isotope lab environment.

BTW - All HPI units I had experience also seem to tolerate the high
electrical noise of an accelerator quite well.

Its worth the call.

NO - I'm not a stock holder or partner or any such thing - just a long
satisfied customer.

Ted de Castro