RE: "New Yorker" story on Paducah

I read Bobbie Ann Mason's story as I am an avid New Yorker reader.  She gets
most of what "science" there is wrong, as I expected, but mercifully there
isn't much.  One of the  worst technical errors was, in my opinion, the
failure to distinguish between the chemical and radiological hazards of
uranium hexafluoride -- it's nasty stuff chemically, for sure.  I am not
sure what her point was in writing the article, but she is a good writer and
quite accurately captured the ambivalent feelings of Paducah.

The greatest sin of omission, it seems to me, is the failure to mention
comparable hazards of other resource extraction and conversion processes
associated with both power and weapons production.  A Kentuckian and she
didn't mention coal mining and milling?  Also, her statement about no
letters being published was simply wrong -- one of the letters to the
Paducah paper was reprinted on RADSAFE.

I am left uneasy as to why the article was (a) written and (b) published.

Clearly only my own opinion.

Ruth F. Weiner, Ph. D.
Sandia National Laboratories
MS 0718, POB 5800