RE: Any thoughts?

Jan. 5

	My thanks to Aaron Oakley and Ruth Weiner for their postings about Dr.
Steve Wing.

	In 1994 I had the opportunity to see Wing in action.  In October of that
year, a camorra of environmentalist and left-wing extremist organizations
sponsored a two-day seminar in Albuquerque ("Women, Health & the
Environment:  Action for Cancer Prevention").  The de facto purpose of the
seminar was to blame cancer (especially breast cancer) on chemicals
(especially chlorine); and on radiation.  (With respect to chlorine,
Greenpeace was one of the sponsoring organizations, and I am certain that
RADSAFERs know about Greenpeace's war against chlorine.)  Three of the
speakers/panelists were Samuel Epstein, Jay Gould (co-author of "Deadly
Deceit:  Low Level Radiation, High Level Cover Up"), and Steve Wing.

	In a panel discussion on Radiation and Cancer, Wing recommended what he
described as "popular epidemiology," which consists of someone picking up
his clipboard and going door to door quizzing his neighbors about their
health.

	I find it interesting that the Wing et. al. paper purporting to find
elevated levels of cancer around Three Mile Island was printed in
Environmental Health Perspectives.  I recently finished reading an
Environmental Working Group (EWG) report (URL below) about mercury
emissions from coal-fired power plants.  To support its claims about the
dangers of mercury the Report cited four papers - all of them published in
Environmental Health Perspectives.

	I am not necessarily making any insinuations about EHP, but:  has anyone
noticed a tendency for environmentalists, Greens, anti-nukers, etc., to
cite papers that have been published in EHP?

	The EWG report is "Mercury Falling:  An Analysis of Mercury Pollution from
Coal-Burning Power Plants," by John Coequyt and Richard Wiles (EWG); Felice
Stadler (Clean Air Network); and David Hawkins (NRDC).  The report
(approximately 40 pages long) is available in PDF at

 <http://www.cleanair.net/FINALmercury.pdf>

	It is neither my intent nor my desire to start a thread about mercury.  I
am merely giving this URL for the convenience of interested parties.

Steven Dapra
sjd@iolnm.net