Re: Man Sentenced in radioactive Poisoning Case

At 10:30 AM 01/10/2000 -0600, you wrote:
This is one more case in the current "epidemic" of intentional misuse incidents.  In
this case, enforcment action against the licensee may be appropriate, since it seems
that the radioactive material used had not been properly secured.

Dear Mr. Lipton:

I respectfully differ from your opinion.

In this case the material was properly secured.
The student in question had access to the lab. As Mr. Rotman and Carol Marcus pointed out, this was a willful, deliberate act, and these kind of  acts are hard to prevent in a research setting.

The regulators did not take any action against us(the licensee), because they realized that this was an intentional act, and not a breach in security.

It was because of the policies we(the licensee) had  in place for monitoring, etc that we were able to catch this in time, and prevent further harm. All the personnel in the lab were properly trained, including this student.

I was the person involved with the whole investigation, so if you need any more information, you can contact me directly, and I will try to answer your questions.

Sincerely,

Ninni Jacob, CHP
Radiation and Biological Safety Officer
Office of Risk Management