From: JSBland@aol.com [mailto:JSBland@aol.com]
Sent: January 11, 2000 5:17 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: N-16 Levels

I have been asked a question related to N-16 production at a PWR and any
dependency on core life.  Does N-16 production increase with core life?  I
have examined the difference in the neutron energy spectrum between U-235
fission and Pu-239 fission.  With a 9.6 MeV neutron energy threshold for the

O-16(n,p)N-16 reaction, it appears that the higher neutron energy spectrum
from Pu-239 should yield a higher N-16 production rate later in core life.
But, I don't recall (nor can I find) any data to support this hypothesized
increase.  I have also examined the issue of prompt gammas from fission that

would yield high energy gammas that could be mistaken for N-16, especially
while looking at a wide energy band for identification purposes (3 to 7.5
MeV, over which I have no control).  In this case, the U-235 spectrum yields

more gammas in this energy band than does the Pu-239 spectrum.
Unfortunately
for me, this is not a research project, just a "can you help explain this,"
 so I have no resources available for measurements.   Any help or
suggestions
are appreciated.
J. Stewart Bland
(jsbland@aol.com)