Re: FW: Iron in drinking waters

At 14:55 13.01.2000 -0600, you wrote:

> [...]

In my recent posting on this question I have shown (or at least I believe
so), that the occurrance of iron, and I extend that to other metals as
well, does not interfere with the determination of radon and radium in
drinking water, when using the extractive scintillation method. I pointed
out, that even when quench occurrs, the efficiency of alpha-emitters will
not be changed and therefore optimizing the window to include all alphas
will give a correct result.

Concentration of metal ions in ground water vary to a great extent. They
should not be extracted by the scintillation cocktail I used, but I would
rather blame the quench to some unknown organic compounds, but I have no
analytical evidence for that.

You are welcome to discuss this question with me privately.

Franz

 Thanks
>> Jim Noyce, Illinois Department of Nuclear Safety, noyce@idns.state.il.us

Franz Schoenhofer