Re: nuclear medicine financing

This problem which is encountered in many countries
concerns not only isotope imaging but medical imaging
in general ( X-ray imaging, NMR, Ultrasonography,
etc.). Part of the reason is related to the exagerated
rates applied by both private and public health
centers. Another reason seems to be related to the
tendency in some places to prescribe imaging acts  to
patients who really don't need it (for lucrative
reasons).Therefore, being perceived as commercially
viable by some practitionners, medical imaging and,
subsequently the patients, run the risk to be
penalized heavily. The solution? 1)more ethics in the
profession; 2)optimized use of imaging modalities and
consumable products (isotopes, films, etc..) to help
bring down the cost of medical imaging; 3) and, last
but not least, introduce regulations to protect
patients against excessive radiation exposure.

Conclusion: in many countries, health insurance
companies cannot support anymore the huge costs of
public health; therefore, it tries to discourage both
doctors and patients from relying systematically on
radiation imaging and, in my opinion, this is not the
proper way to reach the desired goal. It is to be
borne in mind that medical imaging is a necessity not
a luxury.

Dr. Abderrachid Zitouni,
National Center of Radiation Protection, Algiers
azittouni@yahoo.com