RE: Russia: Iran May Seek More Reactors

> the RMBK specially suited for this purpose because on-line refueling, in
> theory, permits production of low-burnup, high-percentage Pu-239 (ie.
> weapons-grade) Pu.
In practice, it depends whether the fueling machine can "shuffle" the fuel
rapidly enough to avoid excessive burnup throughout the core. If not, then
only a few fuel channels could potentially be exploited in this way, thus
greatly reducing the possible yield of WPu.
I have no idea what the situation is with actual operating RBMKs.

Jaro
PS. see also J. Whitlock's web posting on this topic (wrt CANDUs) at URL
http://www.ncf.carleton.ca/~cz725/cnf.htm#j2      and
http://www.ncf.carleton.ca/~cz725/cnf.htm#x1     and
http://www.ncf.carleton.ca/~cz725/cnf.htm#x2