Re: Suggestions...MSC story...[correction]

I have to disagree with Mr. Carlson's assertion that driving cars, using
natural gas, and climbing on top of a roof are more acceptable risks
because they are perceived as voluntary. The "voluntary" arguement is used
by some people trying to justify a predetermined conclusion. No one
volunteers to have their car hit by an inattentive driver going 20 miles
over the speed limit, have a gas leak turn their home into a raging
inferno, or slip off the roof repairing the TV antenna. You can stroll
through any hospital and find ample stories of people injuried or dying
from "voluntary" acts that did not happen the way they intended.

The acceptance of a risk is more related to the mental imagery that people
have for each event. That imagery is based on experience and what they've
heard. Take your driving example: A person driving on road shrouded with
fog will normally drive slower because they recognize the potential hazard.
Another driver may not take those precautions because he/she has driven
under similar conditions and feels confident that driving 10 miles above
the speed limit is perfectly safe. I lived near Virginia Beach when the
Jaws movie came out. I knew a lot of people who would not go near the beach
for fear of a shark attack, even though they had often visited the beach
before. The movie gave them sufficient negative imagery to counteract
reason.

With radiation we have a dichotomy of experience and what people have
heard. Many people who have worked with radiation, understand how it
behaves. Most of us firmly believe that radiation can be used safely and
that it provides a invaluble tool for medicine, research, and energy
production. Personally, I've driven a taxi cab, worked as a roofer, and had
gas heat. Each one of these experiences has brought scrimmages with
disaster. I sincerely believe that working with radiation is the safest job
I've ever had. The reason many people of the general public fear radiation
is that they have only seen negative press, frightening reports from groups
with a set agenda (using circular logic), horrific movies.  These images
are powerful and are often used in place of experience.

Tom

--
Thomas Mohaupt, M.S., CHP
University Radiation Safety Officer