RBMK is bad. It is very, very BAD.

Doug and others,

I thank y'all for a very good educational information.
For the sake of pluralism of opinions, I just would like to add my ten cents

There never was a question that compare to RBMK the vessels reactors are
smaller, safer and easier to operate, this is why, they are used on the
ships, on the first place.
RBMK is not the only graphite moderated reactor. Graphite moderated reactors
in the FSU as well as in the US (and may be also in GB) were designed and had
being operated for WP production (so much sweat and blood and now it is
burning in CANDU, why not to build Breeders again???).
RBMK-1000 is cheap and easy to build, particularly if there is no sufficient
large vessel reactor production capability. Dr. Minnema is right, there were
problems with MASS LINE PRODUCTION of the large reactor vessels (1000 and
1500 electrical megawatts plants) in FSU and because of planning and
expending economy (poor energy efficient technologies) RBMK-1000 and 1200s
were build for big power NPPs. Y'all probably heard the story that we had
planned everything.........

I am not a RBMK supporter.
While I was in school, I did a few RBMK-1000 and RBMK-2400 calculation and
design projects and we knew all those RBMKs bad features; positive temp.
coeff., instability on low reactor power levels, lack of a strong
containment. All that, what in a some or the other way led to the explosion
and determined magnitude of the fall out. But if you read and analyzed the
aftermath accident report, it is always boring with many details document,
you could see that after all those SOP violations, a senior reactor
engineer-operator (he and I went in the same school) manually activated the
emergency reactor shut down system # 2 (AZ # 2). Normally it supposed to be a
remedy but in those reactor conditions it was a TRIGGER because of the
emergency rods tips design; tips hollowness which caused decrease of the
neutron absorbent amount in the active zone at the first moment by pushing
out the water: coolant-absorbent-moderator.
The flaw of the emergency rods tip design NEVER had being addressed before
the accident.
If the operator (he died from rad. burns 29 days after the accident, with the
last words WHY THESE HAPPENED??? Not understanding HOW??? Or disbelieving
WHAT???) did NOT activated the system there would be at maximum, the 'maximum
projected accident" - rupture of "the first contour", of course the term
"first" here is a conditional because the plant has no physical separation
between first and second contours. For this case the plant has an emergency
system which did handle these type of the accidents before properly.
RBMK-2400 with a unique maneuverability would be more efficient, easier to
operate and safer (or in the opposite order) and the same magnitude accident
would not happen, at least, because of higher U-235 fuel enrichment. But in
the idea is the same as 1000 reactor with similar flaws.
Not to take it personally, some of the present days opinions are sounded like
Monday morning coaching. Although there were very powerful RBMK lobby among
designers.

I never liked RBMKs and I had expressed my opinion on many issues when I felt
that I had to. Well, you can call it "a bad luck" or a coincidence, after
school I had to work on RBMK-1000 the next to the exploded one and to provide
a some systems maintenance on exploded one and it is true that working on
RBMKs, compare to vessel reactors, is a nightmare.
Because of that seldom a senior reactor engineer-operator lasted longer then
two years.
There is no reason kick underdogs, most of them now are dead anyway.

I hope, we won't have the same discussion about a some vessel reactor in the
future.
Public of course wants to hear "NEVER AGAIN" but for a technical person to
say "NEVER" would be close to the deception. I think, public needs to face
the fear and we have to give the information in a CONSUMABLE form to help
public to overcome its radio phobia. It is better to say never for now but
what if..... and then what???
A small additional point.
There is NO more a cold war for a very, very long time, so some people need
to get out of tranches and go home.

I guess after all, I am the one who took it personally.
Best Regards and Happy Wednesday to everyone. :-)

Emil.
kerembaev@cs.com

In a message dated 1/18/00 10:15:38 Pacific Standard Time,