Re: Physics

Richard,
May I suggest you investigate the history, advances and applications of High Purity Germanium (HPGe) detectors?  HPGe detectors are semiconductors (Electronics) which send a signal when gamma radiation is deposited in the crystal (Energy).  The theory is quite straight forward and elegant. However, design and construction of HPGe detectors involves some of the most challenging state-of-the-art plasma physics and high tolerance machining that can done in the laboratory,

I suggest you visit the Canberra web site at www.canberra.com.  Look under "detectors" and review the information there to see if the topic is right for you.  Canberra used to produce lab books and catalogues that had a wealth of information on HPGe detectors.  When I was working for them, Canberra had a large office in the U.K.  I don't know if their presence in the U.K. is still as robust.

Good Luck with your project.

Regards,

Vince Chase
Radiation Safety Officer