Re: emergency responders

Dear Bill,

    Your question is very interesting.
    In many International training courses for developing countries, invited
to prepare radiological accident scenario responses to non-nuclear
facilities, your major interess, one of my topic for discussion is about
medical staff attitude in case of any difficulty and how they should decide
the effective participation, if for any special circumstance, it will be
impossible to them the use of a survey meter and there are injured and
unconscious (RPO) personnel, for example inside a vehicle.
In such condition Fire Brigade is a very important component, not because
fire, but due his professional capacity to manage special situation,
specially if we consider the accident far away and only Local County
supports.
There are many documents published by IAEA describing the main radiological
accident starting from the Radiological Accident in Goiania, 1987.
I am sure you can find interesting topics about medical attitude and
performance in the IAEA procedures on the International Conference - Goiania
Ten Years Later, Goiania, Brazil: 26-31 October 1997. The IAEA proceedings
of this conference, are available upon request. For
information please contact Mrs. Patricia Wieland at P.Wieland@iaea.org, if
you wish you can mention my name.
If you also wish I can provide to you the e mail address of medical and
internal dosimetry groups, to direct contact.

Good luck

JJ

Jose Julio Rozental
rozental@unisys.com.br