Re: Sm-153

In addition to the Eu mentioned by others, another possibility might be
Sm-151 (approx. 90 y half-life) from n,gamma interaction with Sm-150
(natural abundance approx. 7.5 %). It may be a little hard to detect inside
a glass vial if using a pancake GM, but a thin crystal NaI scintillation
detector probably would see the X-rays: 0.076  MeV max beta-, 0.022 MeV Eu
L X-rays (I=4%).

Source: RHH 1970, p. 314

Chris Alston <alstonc@odrge.odr.georgetown.edu>@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu on
01/20/2000 04:35:25 PM