Re: 4TH QTR REMP Air Particulates

Reply to question 1:

A gamma isotopic analysis will probably eliminate Japan's uranium
reprocessing accident from consideration.

Our air particulate beta concentrations for the period July 1998 to June
1999 ranged from .012 to .067 pCi/m^3 with an average of .032+/- 0.001
pCi/m^3 (N=252). Decay time from collection to count approximately 72 h. In
other words, our air sample results vary a factor of 2 or 3 due to the
normal variations of the natural radioactivity collected. Gamma isotopic
analysis showed short-lived particulate activity from the decay of Rn-222
(primarily Pb-214 and Bi-214) with a long-lived contribution from Pb-210,
and the intermediate lived Be-7 (average concentration 0.14 pCi/m^3).  It
is not unusual for us to observe spikes in the fall (all due to natural
radioactivity). I would check your dust loading and note any unusual
weather patterns as rainfall or snow cover can also affect your results.

Reply to question 2:

For radiation assay, our lab requires sample preservation in the field for
water samples that cannot be returned to the lab within 5 days using 15 mL
of 1 N nitric acid per liter of sample. Otherwise, laboratory personnel
preserve the samples when they are brought to the lab with a stipulation
that the samples be held in their original container for at least 16 hours
before analysis or transfer of the sample.

Reply to question 3:

Our lab does wash sample containers used for environmental monitoring. Each
bottle is rinsed with 4N nitric acid solution followed by distilled water.
The inside of the bottles are then soaked with a diluted Radwash solution
overnight followed by another distilled water rinse. The bottles are then
dried prior to use.

Sample containers used for public drinking water, test well, and hospital
effluent sample collection are not re-used.

jhharner@aep.com@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu on 01/24/2000 03:29:32 PM

Please respond to radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu

Sent by:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu