Public Hearing to Consider Nuclear Waste Shipment Through Cleveland, Ohio and the Midwest

Thursday January 27, 12:22 pm Eastern Time

Company Press Release

Public Hearing to Consider Nuclear Waste Shipment Through Cleveland,
Ohio and the Midwest

CARSON CITY, Nev.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 27, 2000--On Friday, January
28, the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) will hold a public hearing
regarding the transportation of thousands of tons of deadly
radioactive wastes through Cleveland, the State of Ohio, and other
states, over a period of three decades.

``Because DOE has not publicized the true intent of the hearing,
affected communities and individuals may not be aware of it, or of
the federal program behind it,'' said Bob Loux of the Nevada
Governor's Office.

At the January 28 hearing, to be held at the Holiday Inn, Lakeside
City Center, 1111 Lakeside Avenue, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and in the
evening from 6 p.m. through 9 p.m., DOE will accept public comments
on the proposal to construct and operate a repository for spent
nuclear reactor fuel and high-level radioactive waste at Nevada's
Yucca Mountain. Because of the locations of nuclear power plants and
defense nuclear facilities that would ship spent fuel and highly
radioactive wastes to a Nevada facility, the Cleveland area would be
heavily impacted by Yucca Mountain-related transportation. In a
preliminary review of DOE's draft Environmental Impact Statement for
the Yucca Mountain project, the Nevada Agency for Nuclear Projects
found that:

--   Under the least impacting scenario, between 2,700 and 4,200 rail
shipments of spent nuclear fuel and high-level radioactive waste
would pass through Ohio. There would be an average of 2 rail
shipments per week every week for at least 25 years. The majority of
the rail shipments would travel through Cleveland.

--   In addition to the rail shipments, between 1,600 and 2,300 truck
shipments from New England and New York nuclear reactors would also
travel through the Cleveland and Toledo metropolitan areas on I-80
and I-90.

--   Under a shipping scenario where most of the spent fuel and high-
level waste is shipped by truck, between 11,200 and 18,900 shipments
would impact the Cleveland and Toledo metropolitan areas on I-90 and
I-80, an average of 1.3 truckloads per day every day for 24 to 39
years. Maps showing nuclear waste shipping routes are attached as
files and can also be found on the web at
http:www.state.nv.us/nucwaste/trans/images/16-1.gif and
http:www.state.nv.us/nucwaste/trans/images/18-1b.gif.

--   Under either scenario, the number of shipments through Cleveland
will substantially exceed the total number of such shipments
nationally during the entire history of the U.S. Nuclear power
industry.

--   Studies by the State of Nevada indicate that these shipments are
vulnerable to severe accidents and could become attractive targets
for sabotage and terrorism.

Nuclear waste transportation expert Robert J. Halstead will be
available for media interviews before, during, and after the hearing.
Halstead can be reached at 608/742-3973 or through the Nevada Agency
for Nuclear Projects at 775/687-3744.

Statement of Robert J. Halstead on Behalf of the State of Nevada
Agency for Nuclear Projects Regarding U.S. Department of Energy Draft
Environmental Impact Statement for a Geologic Repository for the
Disposal of Spent Nuclear Fuel and High-Level Radioactive Waste at
Yucca Mountain, Nevada

Presented at the Public Hearing in Cleveland, Ohio January 28, 2000

The manner in which the comment period and public hearings for the
draft Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS) for the proposed Yucca
Mountain High-Level Radioactive Waste Repository have been noticed by
DOE is misleading and intended to suppress public participation and
public comments. Notices make no reference to the specific
transportation routes, the types and volumes of shipments along each
route, and the impacts to specific communities along identified
routes; nor is such information to be found in the draft EIS
document.

The State of Nevada has attempted to address these issues in comments
delivered at various public hearings around the country. The State's
preliminary transportation comments have addressed specific
deficiencies in DOE's DEIS regarding the radiological hazards of the
SNF and HLW that DOE proposes to ship to Yucca Mountain, the shipment
modes and routes, the risks associated with legal weight truck (LWT)
transport, the vulnerability of shipments to human initiated events
including terrorism and sabotage, DOE's failure to identify a
preferred rail access corridor to Yucca Mountain, and DOE's failure
to demonstrate the feasibility of heavy haul truck (HHT)
transportation from an intermodal transfer station to the proposed
repository, impacts of rail construction and operation, impacts on
Native American lands and cultural resources, and social and economic
impacts of public perception of transportation risks. These
statements are available on the web at www.state.nv.us/nucwaste.

The draft EIS fails to identify the specific transportation routes
for spent fuel and HLW shipments from specific reactor and generator
locations to Yucca Mountain despite the fact that these routes were
identified as part of the analyses contained in the transportation
appendix and references. DOE, in effect, has chosen to hide these
routes and simply report the analyses in a generic fashion. The State
of Nevada has been able, after considerable effort, to ``back out''
those specific routes from modeling data contained in DEIS
references. Those routes make Ohio the gateway to Yucca Mountain for
all of the commercial nuclear power reactors in the Northeastern and
Middle Atlantic states, but the DEIS makes no specific reference to
transportation impacts in Ohio.

Under the DEIS mostly truck scenario, DOE's preferred Nevada route to
Yucca Mountain is I-15, the Las Vegas Beltway (I-215), and US 95.
Using the HIGHWAY model, DOE contractors generated national routes
from the 77 shipping sites to connect with the Las Vegas Beltway.
These national routes are not revealed in the DEIS, but they are
disclosed in the DEIS references, which can be accessed on the
worldwide web at www.ymp.gov/timeline/eis/trw1999udata.

The routes used for the mostly truck impact analysis in the DEIS
correspond to actual cross-country routes to I-15 and the Las Vegas
Beltway. These routes generally are I-80 for shipments from the
Northeastern and North Central states, I-70 for shipments from
Southeastern and Midwestern states, and I-10 and I-40 for shipments
from South Central and Southwestern states. Shipments from the
Pacific Northwest and Idaho use I-84 and I-15. Shipments from Arizona
and California use I-5, I-10, and I-15. (See DEIS reference TRW
1999udata, Chapter 4, file bt_map.prn. The origin-destination
distances generated in miles in this file correspond to the origin-
destination distances given in kilometers in DEIS Table J-11.) The
DEIS compares the transportation impacts calculated for the preferred
route with impacts for six potential alternative routes identified by
the State of Nevada to minimize shipments through the Las Vegas
Valley. (See Table J-48.)

The highway routes used in the DEIS make Ohio a major corridor state
for truck shipments to Yucca Mountain. Three of the principal truck
routes from Eastern reactors enter Ohio from Pennsylvania on I-90, I-
80, and I-76; converge on the Ohio Turnpike (I-80/I-90) at Elyria;
and then continue west through Indiana, Illinois, and Iowa on I-80.
These routes traverse the Cleveland and Toledo metropolitan areas,
and more than 300 miles on rural Ohio interstate highways. Truck
shipments through Ohio are presented in Table 1. Under the mostly
truck scenario, proposed action, about 11,2000 truck shipments of SNF
and HLW (about 22% of the total) traverse Ohio over 24 years. Under
the mostly truck scenario, modules 1 & 2, about 18,900 truckloads of
SNF and HLW (about 20% of the total) traverse Ohio over 39 years.
Under either scenario, an average of 1.3 trucks per day would travel
through Ohio every day for decades. Additionally, Ohio would be
traversed by 100 to 200 truckloads of greater-than-Class-C low level
radioactive wastes from commercial reactors to Yucca Mountain during
the same time period.

Rail shipments to Yucca Mountain would also heavily impact Ohio. The
DEIS evaluated four rail routing scenarios using the INTERLINE model.
Under the DEIS routing scenarios, two major streams of rail shipments
to Yucca Mountain converge in Cleveland, at the interchange of
Conrail mainlines from Buffalo and Harrisburg. A smaller number of
shipments travel the Norfolk Southern from Cleveland to Chicago, the
Norfolk Southern from West Virginia to Kansas City via Portsmouth,
and the CSXT from Pennsylvania to Chicago via Youngstown and Akron.
Rail shipments along these routes, which total almost 1,000 route
miles in Ohio, are presented in Table 2. Under the mostly rail
scenario, proposed action, about 2,700 rail shipments (about 25% of
the total) traverse Ohio over 24 years. Under the mostly rail
scenario, modules 1 & 2, about 4,200 rail shipments (about 21% of the
total) traverse Ohio over 39 years. Additionally, I-76, I-80, and I-
90 through Ohio would be traversed by between 1,600 to 2,300 truck
shipments of SNF from reactors in New England and New York which
cannot economically ship by rail. Under either scenario, an average
of 1 shipment every two days would travel through Ohio for three or
four decades.

Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
Director, Technical				Extension 2306
ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Division		Fax:(714) 668-3149
ICN Biomedicals, Inc.				E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website:  http://www.geocities.com/scperle