ANSI/HPS N13.12

This standard addresses material release.  I need some help in understanding
its implications.

Section 4.2 b) indicates that the instruments used must be capable of
measuring the quantity of radionuclides on or in the item.  Does this mean
that, if the contamination levels are 10% or 1% (or less) of the screening
levels, I still have to be able to detect the radioactive material present.
Note that this is separate from the section 4.2c) requirement for the
instruments to be able to detect contamination at the screening levels.  That
would seem to indicate that, the cleaner something is, the harder I have to
work to survey and release it.

Section 4.5 discusses summing radionuclide fractions and, near the end, what
to do when the instruments are not capable of detecting radionuclides at the
screening levels.  This would seem to be in direct conflict with Sections 4.2
b) and 4.2 c), as discussed above.  Does anyone  have any clarification on
this?

Lew LaGarde
e-mail - offtowy@aol.com