Re: Hormesis - medical benefits?

Hi,

At 12:32 27.01.2000 -0600, you wrote:
>Substantial recent medical evidence (mostly in German, so there's not much on
>our site :-)

I would be very careful on papers published in German. Everybody convinced
to have important results to be presented would publish them in English,
simply in order to get them known to a large scientific forum. Papers
published in small, maybe even local journals like (hypothetically) the
"Monthly review of our valued guests at Bad Gastein" have to be taken with
caution. One should not forget, that a tremendous amount of money is
involved in the spa-business and as I pointed already out positive effects
may be simply attributed to other treatment methods which are not related
to radioactivity. "Radioactivity", which is obviously a very negative word
in everyday life may have some fascination, when used medically.

(From the time
>of the Romans there has been evidence of 'real effects' sufficient to cause
>substantial effort to attain the benefits

The Romans did not know about radon, they used the spas because of the warm
water and anybody knows that warm water (with or without radioactivity) is
very pleasant when suffering from certain diseases.

>Franz, Like many LNT-committed,

I am not a supporter of LNT and I am not its enemy, I simply am of the
opinion that neither the LNT nor the contrary has been proved and unless it
has been proved (yes, I know you believe so) I think it is better to be on
the safe side and to assume its validity.

your 'beliefs' are having undue influence on
>your consideration of the data - this is making "the LNT-religion" an
>increasingly apt term. :-)  But if you obtain some of the German refs,

Please, forward them to me!

we'd be
>happy to receive some limited translations of the essential results. :-)

I will do my best.

In the meantime I send my best regards and wish you to be spared from
attacks like the ones from Franz Schoenhofer!

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer
Habicherg. 31/7
A-1160 Vienna