another medical misadministration

Bill L wrote:

> I am concerned about the frequency of these events.  In this
> case, I am even more concerned the length of time that will apparently
> elapse between the misadministration and the needed intervention.

How about concern over this:

> whole body dose would be approximately 31 rads without administration (of
KI)

I can't think of a situation in which the use of the "whole body" dose gives
more worthless information regarding risk than with I-131 NaI.  I think the
management of medical misadministrations is open to discussion (I will say
that I think many of Carol Marcus' points on this subject are well taken).
But nonetheless, if we are going to report them, react to them, try to
control them, etc., we should do so on the basis of relevant dose
information.

Michael Stabin, PhD, CHP
Departamento de Energia Nuclear/UFPE
Av. Prof. Luiz Freire, 1000 - Cidade Universitaria
CEP 50740 - 540
Recife - PE
Brazil
Phone 55-81-271-8251 or 8252 or 8253
Fax  55-81-271-8250
E-mail stabin@npd.ufpe.br

"Quantum Mechanics: The dreams stuff is made of"
- Steven Wright