Re: Atomic Confession

Susan,
One thing I haven't heard mentioned anywhere is that the "DOE Manual of
Good Practices for Uranium Facilities", EGG-2530, June 1988, clearly states
that these contaminants are a possibility. Page 2-5:

"Much of the uranium feed material that is currently handled at DOE
facilities has been reclaimed, or recycled, from reprocessed, spent reactor
fuel.  The chemical processes by which recycled uranium is purified leave
trace amounts of transuranic elements (neptunium and plutonium) and fission
products (mainly Tc-99).  Recycled uranium also contains trace amounts of
uranium isotopes not found in nature, such as U-236.  At the concentrations
in uranium from fuel reprocessing facilities, the radiological impact of
these impurities is negligible in many cases.  However, there are many
routine chemical processes which tend to concentrate these impurities
either in the uranium product or in reaction by-products such that
radiological controls and effluent/environmental monitoring programs must
consider these impurities in some cases."

This manual was written by staff from Fernald, Rocky Flats, Livermore, PNL,
and Portsmouth, and published by EG&G Idaho at INEEL.

Clearly, it was known over 10 years ago in the DOE complex, and mentioned
in this fairly widely-distributed manual.  The paragraph to me seems to
downplay the issue, but admits that it is there.

May not clear anything up, but I haven't heard this mentioned anywhere.

Phil Egidi
ORNL/GJ
7pe@ornl.gov

At 10:04 AM 2/8/00 -0600, you wrote:
>Transcript of "Living on Earth" interview with Washington Post reporter
>Joby Warrick follows.  Can anyone out there in RadSafe land confirm or
>deny Warrick's reports?  How serious was (or is) the situation at
>Paducah in your estimation?  In your opinion, were the HPs performing
>their jobs adequately?  What's missing from what we've been hearing in
>the media?
>
>A brief aside:  Dr. David Michaels, Assistant Secretary for ES&H at DOE
>was complaining that the plutonium was causing all the consternation,
>but he felt the neptunium was the bigger health threat because of the
>greater quantity involved.

<snip>