Re: Toxic Trivia - Nicotine

>However, I recall pure chemical nicotine being one of the most toxic
>substance by weight.

I think that nicotine is mentioned among toxic substances in a table in
"Essentials in Toxicology" by Ted A. Loomis. I read the book in 1974 and it
is in Sweden (I am still in Calif.) so I can't check for details but a vague
memory tells me that botulinus toxin for instance is more toxic. Other
substances in that table were one of the dioxins (3,4,7,8?), sodium
chloride, ethanol and morphine (variable toxicity depending on adaptive
mechanisms).

The toxicity of nicotine may partly be due to its similarity to several
naturally occuring biomolecules (downstream from tryptophan including a B
vitamin and others). This may be the reason for the body not responding
"foreign" as with most other toxins (my speculation).

Bjorn Cedervall  bcradsafers@hotmail.com