RE: Re[4]: Contaminated Residential Waste from I-131 Patient

Steve:
Thanks for the reply.  After 27 years in  Nuclear Medicine I have a firm
belief that  only by being as persistent as Carol has been on issues with
the NRC does any significant change occur.  Diatribes such as the ones you
refer to are simply the only way to get the signal to noise ratio up high
enough to get any attention.  And specifically on this issue, success with
the NRC in relaxing a regulation to benefit the patient and medical
community is met with another bureaucratic obstacle at the local level.  Too
easy to give up.  Thick skinned people like Carol can take the heat.  I for
one don't believe that it is appropriate for a hospital to make patient
information available because of an unnecessarily restrictive law which was
passed.  There is simply no harm related to this particular waste stream and
unfortunately convincing them of that fact ( if it actually can be
accomplished) requires a disproportionate amount of effort.  Unfortunately,
historically anyone within the EPA or NRC (or other bureacracy) who actually
attempted to "change things" has been demoted, abused, publicly vilified and
thereby denied the opportunity to make change.  Outside pressure has been
much more effective. I think that is the unfortunate reality we live with.

Bill Porter