Re: we're still our own worst enemy

Sandy Perle wrote:

"It was pointed out that the JCO facility where the accident took place was
now being
shielded for high energy photons. This is being done AFTER the accident, and
where there is no current exposure outside the facility."

I have to comment on this one because I believe that the action of adding
shielding AFTER the accident is a valid one from a radiation protection
standpoint.  From the information I have been able to review, there was a
substantial dose rate outside the facility even after the criticality event
was terminated.  This radiation level would have been due to the combination
of the presence of the remaining fission products in the vessel and the
neutron activation of the surrounding materials.  The drawing I found that
showed the placement of the shielding material was consistent with the above
and would be appropriate to shield the line-of-sight distances to the
nearest site boundaries.  I believe that if I had been responsible for
reacting to the accident I would also want to drop the site boundary levels
to "nodetectable levels" as soon as possible.  And I would go further to say
that I think it would have been irresponsible to try to add such shielding
before the criticality accident had been terminated because of the real risk
to the workers.

A. Joseph Nardi
Supervisory Engineer
Environment, Health and Safety