Re: Dosimetry

Jim wrote:

Here's an example:  I hire a cleaning service (not really) to come clean
my house.  They charge me for the time they spent doing so.  I do this
every month, but then decide I want to cut back because I'm growing in
my masculinity and learning how to do my own cleaning.  I move to
quarterly, but they don't charge me for it!  If they did I'd take them
to court.  Instead, they go out and find more business like they're
supposed to do.

BAD analogy:

More dirt and disorder will accumulate over longer periods of time, making it
more difficult to clean.  A cleaning service usually charges more for monthly
cleanings than for weekly cleanings, they may move furniture around in different
rooms to get to the dirt that has accumulated in hard to reach areas (but which
do not require high frequency, weekly cleaning).

The same is true for most service contracts, including utilities.  You have a
base or fixed cost, even if you use zero electricity, just to read the meter to
demonstrate this (or keep your infor on file, send you monthly statements, or
pay for line maintenance, etc.).  Something I am learning formally now in my MBA
classes...

My personal opinion

Ernesto Faillace CHP
efaillace@earthlink.net