Re: Fear, etc.

Dan wrote the following:

>  "Unnecessary" measurements? In the larger public health picture, taking into
>  account the fact that real health effects can be triggered by false fears,
>  anything that can be legitimately and honestly done at reasonable cost to build
>  or restore peace of mind is, in my opinion, a valid part of the profession of
>  health physics.

Sorry Dan, but I have to respectfully disagree with your ultimate
conclusion. While fear of any unknown may be a valid psychosomatic
disorder, dealing with and trying to mitigate those fears is not our
prime responsibility. Our job is to protect the public from "real"
exposures to radiation and releases of radioactive materials. Dealing
with one's fears is a job for psychiatrists and those who deal with
social disorders.

As Keith stated previously, if I have to perform actions that I know
are only being performed to placate someone, then it is time for me
to leave this professional and move on to something that I know will
really make a difference. Acting on superstition or misrepresenting
the situation and environment, due to political or otherwise, is no
different than the anti-nuclear side promoting mis-representations as
they often do. If we do, we become their puppets, and in the end, are
no different than they are.

Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
Director, Technical				Extension 2306
ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Division		Fax:(714) 668-3149
ICN Biomedicals, Inc.				E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website:  http://www.geocities.com/scperle