RE: Japan's Nuclear Industry Under Fire

Thanks for the posting.....

<snip>
TOKAIMURA, Japan (AP) -
> One worker died from radiation sickness in December.
> It was Japan's worst nuclear accident.
> ``It's shameful,'' said Tastuya Murakami, the mayor of Tokaimura.
> He says the accident left his town, whose population of 34,000 relies
> on the industry as its main employer, economically and psychologically
> scarred.
....we have to overcome the attitude that energy equals nuclear power.''
> Such sentiment is increasing nationwide.
...the industry's future remains in question.
> ``For nuclear industry insiders, the future looks grim,'' said Yuko
> Fujita, a Keio University physics professor and anti-nuclear
> activist. ``The accident is a psychological defeat.''
<snip>
<><><><><><><><>

.....would you believe that an accident THREE TIMES AS DEADLY as the one in
Tokaimura, last week in Montreal, didn't leave our town "psychologically
scarred" ?

Here's the story from the Montreal Gazette, 13 Feb. 2000 (needless to say,
it was NOT posted on any web site, particularly that of the BBC World News
service, AP, REUTERS, etc.) :

AUTO-SHOP FIRE LEAVES 3 DEAD

Three men were found dead in a Montreal North auto shop last night after a
fiery blast ripped through the garage.
The three were killed when a spark ignited gas fumes in the Racette Ave.
shop, said Lt. Michel Savoie of the Montreal North fire department. "The
whole room was probably a ball of fire, a flame that burst from wall to
wall," Savoie said.
The three were dead at least two hours before firefighters arrived, Savoie
said.
The men could not be identified last night. Fire investigators were trying
to find the exact cause of the accident.
The garage's owner discovered the men, police said.

....note also that there is no mention of possible exposure of
firemen/investigators/public in surrounding residential area to gas fumes
before or after the accident - or its possible long-term effects.

regards,

Jaro
frantaj@aecl.ca