Re: The FEAR is Our own worst enemy. (Re)

Finally, someone else says what I have been saying for years.  If you don't know
something, say you don't and resist all requests to extrapolate, hypothesize,
guess, lie, cheat, steal or anything else.  Even if Congress asks.  Even if the
President of the United States asks.  Even if your mother asks.  Even if I ask.
We should stop regulating at the point where observable harm to humans occurs.
Anything else is immoral, unethical and wrong.  Besides being very expensive.
When and if, we find harm at those levels, then we can take appropriate action.
Only the nuclear industry plays this idiotic game.  Why don't other industries?
Because they know better.  Humans do learn by experience.  And it only by
experience that they should learn.  We have learned that our experience with the
current radiation protection philosophy is wrong, harmful, and expensive.  We need
to fix it!  Any more of you out there?  Al Tschaeche antatnsu@pacbell.net

Kerembaev@cs.com wrote:

> In my opinion,
> IAEA, ICRP, NCRP and BEIR VI, fall under the temptation to speculate about
> the "future" health effects which have NO proof. Very subjective
> recommendations on very serious object.
> It is unacceptable practice, for the "serious" organization to speculate
> about one direction and forgetting about a possibility of the other. They do
> that on regular basis by giving recommendations to the regulatory body. They
> KNOW that regulatory bodies WILL implement their speculative recommends in
> the present days regulations.
> If they cannot distinguish scientific hypothesis from the proven theory.
> I would recommend to THEM to tell the truth and say that they do NOT know yet.
> If we do not know, we do not know. Nothing terrible about admitting it.
> Today, We need to use those knowledges what we know, NOW.
> If tomorrow we will learn more we will use it.
> I like to speculate about the future my self, but I am not in the position to
> force my speculations on the entire world community. They are. This is the
> only difference.
>
> In Chernobyl, I have seen more people who were terrified with the fear of
> radiation than, you can imagine. People USUALLY do not admit it, they try to
> coup with it in MANY different ways. I have seen only more stress related
> harm than real harms from the low levels of radiation.  People were DYING
> !!!! as the result of those fears. Acute radiation fear syndrome!!??
> I strongly believe, Radiation Fears resulted in more harm that those low
> level doses possible health effects.
> Everybody can relate to the stress of unknown.
> These very confusing "scientific" recommends just are adding the constant
> fuel to those very normal fears.
> We/you have to spend these money to eliminate the REAL Harm from the High
> Radiation Levels but not to chase the ghost.
>
> Emil
> kerembaev@cs.com
>
> << Congress be insisting that the agencies pass regulations that do not
> result in real
>  harm from false fears?  Perhaps someone should sue the agencies for not
> doing their
>  job in this respect?  How about including IAEA, ICRP, NCRP and BEIR VI?
> What do
>  y'all think?
>   >>
begin:vcard