Re: Fear, etc.

That's what the antis would have us do!

But, the thrust of my point was not to do that, but that the NRC, DOE, EPA should be doing
everything they can to stop the public phobic fear of things nuclear.  It is unethical,
immoral and illegal for them to do anything less, since we have evidence and experience
with harm from such fear.  Think of all the new research grants about how to do that.
Then all the money to be spent on doing it.  And, I'm not kidding.  Ethically, the
government should not be promoting phobic fear or standing by doing nothing about it.  It
should be stopping it!  Al Tschaeche antatnsu@pacbell.net

Keith Welch wrote:

> I suppose that it's fairly clear then, that we have but one choice, if
> we are to live up to our social, ethical and moral responsibilities:
>
> Stop all activities that produce radiation immediately.  If we do so, we
> can prevent ALL the health effects triggered by false fears of
> radiation.
>
> > Dan, I think you have hit on something significant here.  If, as you say, (and I
> > have had similar experience) real health effects can be triggered by false fears,
> > and since the Atomic Energy Act as amended gives the responsibility to the NRC to
> > protect Americans from radiation, shouldn't the NRC ( and DOE and EPA) be doing all
> > it (they) can to erase false fears of radiation that create real health effects?  If
> > Congress really wants the federal agencies to protect health and safety, shouldn't
> > Congress be insisting that the agencies pass regulations that do not result in real
> > harm from false fears?  Perhaps someone should sue the agencies for not doing their
> > job in this respect?  How about including IAEA, ICRP, NCRP and BEIR VI?  What do
> > y'all think?  Al Tschaeche antatnsu@pacbell.net
begin:vcard
n:Tschaeche;Al
x-mozilla-html:FALSE