Re: Fear, etc.

> Only for normal operations do we have standards.  How
> much radioactive material released would it take before you would start a measurement
> program, Sandy?  Please be quantitative.

If there were an incident where there was an off-site release, either
on-going or terminated, I would initiate surveillance, consisting of
direct radiation monitoring, and, determination of ground deposition,
which would be used by governmental agencies to determine the
extent of potential evacuation, sheltering of the populace, and
quarantine of food products, feed and grazing areas, etc. While this
is not quantitative, when there has been a release from non-
operational causes, the measurements must be done. I would then
stop the surveillance after it has been determined that there is no
further release occurring, and, after all of the measurements in the
area have been collected. All of the previous factors are what we
considered in our E. Plan at the utility, and dealings with the state
and other governmental agencies.
Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
Director, Technical				Extension 2306
ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Division		Fax:(714) 668-3149
ICN Biomedicals, Inc.				E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website:  http://www.geocities.com/scperle