Re: Fear, etc.

Sandy Perle wrote:

> > Whenever I have talked to such a person, usually, not always, but most of the time
> > (90% plus/minus 1% at 2 sigma for those needing a numerical value) they go away from
> > our communication with their fear significantly reduced.
>
> Al, I agree. Again I'll say that education and communication is
> perfectly fine.
>
> Maybe the best way to state what I have been trying to say is ...
> suppose you are asked to go and take the above referenced
> samples to prove that there is no radiation risk from a facility that
> ONLY has an x-ray machine. Are you going to go out and do that,
> set-up the collection program, analyze the samples for particulate
> releases, perhaps gaseous releases, because someone thinks that
> an x-ray machine can cause a release, and, we're going to simply
> show them that the area is safe? Are you.

Absolutely not for the example you give.  And, I wouldn't for anything that would result in
a minor, insignificant release of radioactive material into the environment, unless the
media have already made a big thing of it and the public is incensed, upset and threatening
revolution and death to the invaders.  Then I'd think about it, quickly and shortly.  Only
if a significant release probably occurred would I consider measurements.  But, what is a
significant release?  We have no standards for when environmental measurements are needed
when an accidental release occurs.  Only for normal operations do we have standards.  How
much radioactive material released would it take before you would start a measurement
program, Sandy?  Please be quantitative.

> Regards, and, missed you this past Thursday.........

Sorry, had a long standing previous engagement.  Hope to see you the 25th.

Regards. Al Tschaeche antatnsu@pacbell.net
begin:vcard
n:Tschaeche;Al
x-mozilla-html:FALSE