Re: The FEAR is Our own worst enemy. (Re)

You just jogged a thought.  Could it be that safety professionals are too much
caught up in their own paradigm?  We spend our days worrying about things that
might happen and doing something to prevent what might happen from happening.
That's our business, radiation protection.  If we have nothing to protect
against because nothing harmful might happen, we are out of work.  Being stuck
in this paradigm or way of thinking, we are not able to consider a different
situation, namely:  there may be no harm from low doses.  If there is no harm,
our job is done.  But we can't allow that thought because is is contrary to our
paradigm.  I challenge all of you to consider this idea and to see if it isn't
part of our problem.  I know it will be difficult to think that our job is
done.  Obviously for situations where real harm can occur, we still need to look
for things that might happen and take appropriate precautions.  But, let's quit
looking for the "might occurs" where our current experience shows there is no
demonstrated harm.
And lets tell our congresspersons to quit thinking as we do when there are no
data demonstrating harm.
Al Tschaeche antatnsu@pacbell.net