Personal Contamination Clothing Limits

--------------- cc:Mail Forwarded ---------------
From:     Ramie Thames AT SRCCA04
Date:     02/28/2000 09:18 AM
To:       Dennis Hadlock AT SRCCB02
Subject:  Re: PC message to RADSAFE

RADSAFERs,

I am looking for information on what limits your facility may have on
Personal Contamination clothing sent to be laundered and your limits for
use after laundering.  I am also interested in your survey methods.
Currently the Savannah River Site has a contract with a laundry service
which limits PCs sent for cleaning to <12 mrad/hr beta-gamma and 20,000
dpm/100cm^2 alpha.  Any PCs above this limit are disposed.  Once laundered,
SRS has imposed a use limit of <10,000 dpm/100cm^2 beta-gamma and 1,000
dpm/100cm^2 alpha.

Surveys to meet the pre-laundry limits are performed in the field by HP
Technicians using portable frisking instruments and/or an RO-20 prior to an
individual removing their PCs at the step-off-pad.  Post laundry surveys
are performed by the vendor and are automated.

You can answer me directly or post to the list if you feel the information
would be appreciated by everyone.

The opinions expressed are mine and do not necessarily represent those of
Westinghouse or the DOE.

Dennis Hadlock, RRPT, CHMM
Sr. Health Physicist
Westinghouse Savannah River Company