Re: another intentional misuse

----- Original Message -----
From: Debby Steva <dps3c@virginia.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, March 01, 2000 2:53 PM
Subject: Re: another intentional misuse

Three comments on this subject:

Jose J. Rozental
joseroze@netvision.net.il
Israel
==========
First Comment:

You got the point, any colleague that understand the philosophy of radiation
safety has no doubt to understand this topic. Let's take the meaning of
Safety Culture.
Safety Culture means:

a) policies and procedures that needs to be established to identify
protection,  safety and security as being of the highest priority. These
procedures and conditions should be revised as necessary in the light of
experience;

b) problems affecting protection, safety and security be promptly identified
and corrected in a manner commensurate with their importance;

Protection, safety and security need to receive the attention reasonable by
their signifcance. However, it is clear that a system of source security
comprise measures to prevent loss, theft, damage or unauthorized use of
sources. This is especially important for multiple individual sources or
particularly hazardous sources

> I think some of you are missing Mr. Karam's point.  Intentional misuse
will never be 100% preventable in a free society such as ours and you are
dreaming if
>you  think it can never happen at "your organization".  All of your
institutions are
> at risk - probably small risk - and that is the point - how much effort
>and millions  of dollars do you spend to further reduce that small risk -
isn't that
>what everyone on Radsafe constantly rails against - the costs assoc. with
reducing those
> already low risks assoc. with LNT doses?
>
> D. Steva

==================
Second comment:

This is a very interesting point. Many mistakes in radiation safety, in
developing countries is due the fact of the difficulty to understand manual
in english.
One example, was the Radiological Accident in Soreq, Israel,  in 1990
occured at an industrial irradiation facility. The IAEA investigation team,
concluded:
"The senior technician had a good knoledge of English but the other three
technicians had only an elementary knowledge. It was concluded after the
accident that the lack of a translation into Hebrew of the operating manual
and safety instructions had contributed to the operators' inability to cope
with unusual events. The same applies to the lecture notes from the training
courses, which were also available in English only"