RE: Gamma Spec

In addition to the previous observations, I would like to add that when a
spectrum is reloaded for further counting, the stored "acquisition start
time/date" will be associated with the restart, not the initial acquisition.
This may affect decay correction back to the original sample date.  Also, if
considerable time has passed between the initial acquisition and the additional
acquisition, one needs to ensure that the system setup is identical - that is,
that neither long term drifts nor intentional readjustments have altered the
system characteristics from the initial acquisition.  Modern DSP electronics go
a long way towards reducing the effects of drift, but do not eliminate them
entirely.  If all the issues raised are taken into account, the approach should
be successful.  I believe all suppliers' equipment and solftware allow the
reload of a spectrum and restart of acquisition.

Mr. Bradshaw also touches on the possibility to avoid the problem in the first
place by using a software facility to count to a specific LLD or MDA.  This
capability has been available in Canberra Genie systems (VMS and PC platforms)
for some years.  The user sets desired MDA values for each nuclide of interest
in the nuclide library.  Then, when the feature is invoked, the system counts
for a minimal period, analyzes the spectrum and projects the count time needed
to reach all MDAs - then iterates that process until all MDAs are reached.  A
user defined maximum count time stops the acquisition in the event you have
asked it to do the impossible - i.e. count to an MDA that cannot be achieved.
Users of this capability have reported that they have essentially eliminated the
need for recounts and extended counts due to missed MDAs.  More significantly -
where labs had set their fixed counting times to be somewhat conservative to
ensure they don't miss detection limits - these labs report that the feature
considerably shortens counting times for many, if not most samples - a real
productivity gain.

More info on this is available from Canberra (end of advertisement)

Regards,
Bud Sielaff
Director of Instruments Marketing
Canberra Industries