LNT model question

Dr. Cohen wrote concerning the question I posed:  "My derivation of the
formula I was testing is given in my paper in Health Physics 68:157-174;1995.
The mathematical derivation is given in Sections B and C, and in the lengthy
mathematical Appendix A. Can you suggest where this derivation falls short of
being convincing? This derivation starts with the BEIR-IV formula for risk vs
dose to individuals, and develops a prediction of lung cancer rates vs
average radon levels for counties."

Field Response: As we suggested before (see references below), the risk model
you derive from the BEIR IV model is not equivalent to the BEIR IV risk
model.  You attempted to equate the model to the BEIR IV model by applying
rigid assumptions that include: 1) The time spent in the home is the same for
all individuals; 2) radon exposures occurring outside the home do not
contribute to lung cancer risk; 3) baseline lung cancer mortality is solely a
function of age and smoking; 4) all smokers have the same increased risk of
mortality; 5) smoking duration and intensity is the same for everyone; 6) age
is the only modifying effect of radon exposure; and 7) radon concentration is
directly proportional to the delivered dose from the radon progeny.  Your
relative risk model is only valid if these assumptions are not violated.  You
previously have  attempted in your published manuscripts to support your own
primary assumptions by use of secondary assumptions or qualifying statements
like: 1) "On average, people spend 75% of their time in the home…"; 2) "…
average radon levels are generally much higher in homes …"; 3) "…..
workplaces of various counties would strongly tend to be proportional ….." ;
4) "….. it is generally agreed that radon gas level is a much better
indicator than WLM of radiation dose in homes …."; and 5) "This crudely
introduces the pack-years concept".  The very foundation of your assumptions
that you use to equate your risk model to the BEIR IV Risk Model is based
further on poorly documented assumptions.  The assumptions all have both an
error associated with them and a very significant NON-LINEAR component, which
as previously pointed out, can not be quantitatively described.  The BEIR IV
model, unlike your model, is not confined by either your primary or secondary
assumptions.

Smith, B.J., Field, R.W., Lynch, C.F., Residential Radon-222 and Lung Cancer:
Testing the Linear No-Threshold Theory with Ecologic Data. Health Physics.
75(1): 11-17, 1998.

Field, R.W., Smith, B.J. and Lynch, C.F. Ecologic Bias Revisited, A Rejoinder
to Cohen's Response to "Residential Radon-222 Exposure and Lung Cancer:
Testing the Linear No-Threshold Theory with Ecologic Data". Health Physics,
75(1): 31-33, 1998.

Field, R.W., Smith, B.J., and Lynch, C.F. Cohen's Paradox, Health Physics
77(3):328-329, 1999.
Dr. Cohen wrote - "This correlation is favorable for verifying LNT. If
smoking  rates were positively correlated, my correction for smoking would
have  increased the discrepancy with LNT. The negative correlation I adopted
reduced the discrepancy. The effects of various assumed correlations  between
smoking prevalence and mean radon levels are presented in my 1995  paper. If
the negative correlation were perfect, the discrepancy with LNT would have
been cut in half."

Field Response:  My question regarded why you felt you found such a strong
inverse association between mean county radon concentrations and your
estimated county smoking rates.  I do not think this can be explained merely
by an urban/rural phenomenon.  It would be interesting to see if this inverse
association held for living area measurements, rather than basement
measurements.  Dr. Naomi Harley has previously shown that for the midwest,
basement radon concentrations do a poor job of predicting overall radon
exposure. First floor living area measurements do a much better job.

Bill Field

R. William Field, Ph.D.
College of Public Health
N222 Oakdale Hall